Tonight on GeekNights, we revive our ancient How to Not Suck series with a discussion of how to properly enjoy the beach. With sand, not the movie. In the news, The Fields Medal was stolen, as were the Swedish royal jewels. Kroger might ban Visa, leading us to some thoughts on a cashless society. We will be live at PAX West 2018, including live on the PAX Twitch Stream!
Tonight on GeekNights, we bring back our classic "How to Not Suck" series with How to Not Suck at Hosting Parties. In the news, VA-11 HALL-A is out, and you should probably play it even if you don't consider yourself a "gamer." The NHL (hockey, in case you are one of those types who "ignore" sports) expansion in to Las Vegas means that there's going to be an expansion draft. The Brexit has a decent chance of passing, but Scott refuses to talk about "things that don't matter" and gets pretty grumpy about it.
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the finer points of taking one's turn in another installment of our long running series: How to Not Suck. It turns out there are ten simple things one must do to take one's turn in a timely fashion.
- Ask rules questions immediately
- Pay attention to the game
- Consider moves when it's not your turn
- Recognize when a decision is arbitrary
- Recognize when a decision is effectively arbitrary due to your own lack of processing ability
- Develop directional heuristics
- If in doubt, maximize the simplest available positional heuristic
- Use pattern recognition to develop heuristics
- Learn mechanical skills (e.g., shuffling cards)
- Develop a gaming lexicon
Tonight on GeekNights, we tell you not just how to not suck, but how to almost always win against inexperienced players in Settlers of Catan. In the news, Team Fortress 2 is now an MMO, but at least we got a new map beforehand. Also, Valve has some updates, but not for you.